<VV> CORVAIR ENGINE HEAT

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 21:44:32 EDT 2010

Timothy, I assume you are talking about the cover which is also the bed of
your rampside. A vacuum is created in the bed of a pickup as you drive that
easily lifts light things and throws them out of the bed of the truck, this
can actually starve the engine bay of air, making it harder for the fan to
draw air.

The easiest way to add more air is to remove the lower airboxes off each
side, These keep air in until the engine gets to about 225 to 250 degrees F,
then the air outlets open. Take those off, and it reduces cht temps by up to
50 degrees. The only reason a air cooled engine needs these is to give hot
air for the cabin in the car. Aircraft engines run without lower covers all
their life, including the corvair conversion engines. Mark Durham