<VV> PG - Further opinions

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Sun Jun 6 22:56:54 EDT 2010

Mark,
One of the reasons I wanted a 58 Plymouth was that I could get it with a THREE speed automatic (Torqueflite) even though most of the used Plymouths of that time had the TWO speed automatic.? It was amazing how many people didn't know which trans they had so I asked them to tell me how many buttons were on the transmission control pad.? If they said only 4, then I knew it was the?two speed, whereas if they said 5 then?I knew it was the 3 speed.? That extra gear made a?BIG difference in the performance of the car, especially after I adjusted the trans linkage so it would stay in 2nd gear until 70 mph.? And friends who were used to the Chevy PG or other 2 speeds always over-accelerated taking off from a stop in the lower?1st gear that I had.
So Chrysler, for one, DEFINITELY had a 3 speed automatic?even in the 1958 Plymouths.? And I STILL think having the pushbuttons?makes more sense than what we have today!!
Frank Burkhard?