<VV> Nylock Nuts

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 18:11:35 EDT 2010

Nylock nuts do have their place, but one of the first things we learned when we got into racing Legends Cars is, grade 8 hardware breaks and nylock nuts come loose.

If you want a good lock nut, for my money, I like the Stover nuts. Stover nuts aren't round they are oval. We used Stover nuts to lock down the exhaust headers when building Superformance Cobras. Never had one come loose.

Here is a link to McMaster-Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/#stover-nuts/=7flx5m

They refer to them as "Distorted-Thread Hex Lock Nuts".

Also known as all-metal and Stover locknuts, these one-piece nuts feature distorted threads that create a vibration-resistant friction fit—so the nuts stay put. Not reusable.

Toplock— Threads are deformed in two or three separate areas.

Centerlock— Also known as two-way locknuts, these nuts are compressed in the center. This allows them to be threaded on from either end.

Oval Lock— One end has a complete thread distorted into an oval shape. Versions with flange cover oversized holes. Grade G have a min. Rockwell hardness of C24; Grade C have a min. Rockwell hardness of C26. Both grades are equivalent to high-strength alloy steel (Grade 8).

For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number

Roy - Bayshore