<VV> Leaky Fuel Pump?

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Jun 8 13:56:29 EDT 2010

Hi Mike, Not picking on you - this happens all the time.

By your account you changed to an electric pump because you tried
"everything". Someone who doesn't know better (a new owner) would
therefore assume that mechanical fuel pumps are bad to rely on.

By your list lets dissect this correctly.

NAPA - Napa has a huge reputation for STILL carrying the 1993 fuel pump
recall run in their system. No mystery there. These pumps were made for
about a 6 month period 17 years ago and WERE defective. Most were recalled
except, apparently, from Napa.

THE SOURCE - I'm sorry, but it has to be said. Despite the Source's claim
that their pumps were "the only ones that don't leak" the fact is (and
time has proven this) that he probably had more trouble with his fuel
pumps - for a longer period of time, than all of us put together times 10.

NOS AC Delco - 35-50 year old NOS anything with rubber is a gamble. I
don't recommend that anyone rely on an NOS fuel pump.

CLARKS - This is the only difficult one out of the batch. Clarks has
normally sold Master (same as us) but I DO know for a fact that they sold
Source pumps, and also other brands (including the supplier to Napa,
Carter etc). I know for a fact that they have had troubles at various
times with their pumps.

None of this even starts to consider problems on your end.

We have a superstitious predjudice in the Corvair community about
mechanical fuel pumps. Like all superstitions they can be explained, but
most folks don't want to listen.

Lon
www.corvaiunderground.com

Mike said - OK, then: Clark's, NAPA, the Source, and a NOS AC Delco. I
stated in my