<VV> Pontiac Oakland convention - NO CORVAIR

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Tue Jun 8 17:29:29 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Rick Norris wrote:

> The 38th POCI or Pontiac Oakland club convention will be held here
> in Charleston, West Virginia from July 5 thru July10. This is the
> second time it has been held here. Old high school buddy is Prez of
> local chapter.
> On Saturday Ronnie and the Daytonas will perform.
> Also Arnie the Farmer Beswick will be will be at the local drag
> strip on Friday the 9th.
> Any Corvair folks coming to town then give me a call and stop on by..

Yea, that convention was here in Greenville a few years ago.  Very
nice cars, I love those old Ponchos.

I visited with Arnie, an old friend.  He had just recuperated from a
terrible fiery crash.  If you see him look at his fingers and his
face, you'll see.  Also, Jim Wangers was there along with Art
Fitzpatrick, who, along with Van Kaufman, used to do those incredible
renderings for so many of the car brochures, especially Pontiac.
(See: http://www.fitz-art.com/).  More recently, Art did two sets of
stamps for the USPS in 2005 and 2008, 50's cars and "Fins".

Arnie's old "Grocery Getter" wagon was there, having been restored by
it's current owner - an incredible restoration.  This show is really
worth seeing.

I'll take a '57 Transcontinental, thank you.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
CORSA member since 1980