<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 65, Issue 35

sgang54 at aol.com sgang54 at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 18:38:30 EDT 2010

Lon is right. There are two main reasons for premature failure that I know of. Weeping of fuel at the edge of the pump body is caused by fuel wicking along the fibers of the fabric reinforced seals. No amount of tightening will prevent this, in fact you will cut through the rubber if you tighten it too much. The original seal material (yellow wavy lines) was made to AC-Delco specification that required that the fabric be impregnated with rubber to prevent this. Fuel leaking out the top is usually a cracked pump diaphragm (under the large metal disc). The original diaphragms were molded with a convolution, not flat which allowed them to flex with the pump stroke. A flat diaphragm will stretch and wear out fast. I worked for the company, now out of business, that supplied much of the materials to AC as well as others. I still have the mold for the diaphragm we used for lab testing. Whoever is making new pumps may or may not be following the original specs.

Steve Gangi
"the rubber guy"

Message: 9
ate: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
rom: corvairs at pacifier.com
ubject: Re: <VV> Leaky Fuel Pump?
o: Mikeamauro at aol.com
c: virtualvairs at corvair.org, gojoe283 at yahoo.com
essage-ID:
   <50413.71.117.230.44.1275937119.squirrel at webmail.iinet.com>
ontent-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
Anyone who says this should list the brands and where and when bought.
t's a blanket statement that I have found, when researched, is never as
ll-inclusive as it seems.
Lon
0,000+ miles on my daily driver 1964 Greenbrier with a mechanical pump.
ww.corvairunderground.com

ike Said " no number of new pumps (all brands of pumps, with thread inserts
 added)  would prevent eventual weeping and then leaking... "