<VV> what to do with a rough 65 Monza?

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 10:34:42 EDT 2010

You didn't mention the body style or any salvagable options. So in general,
any options would be worth salvaging, particularly if they are uncommon
and/or desirable options. Sheet metal is good to save, notably if it's of
the rust-prone areas but rust free. But the more common it is, the less
value it is, because you sometimes reach the point where "everybody has a
ton of it stashed away anyway."

Usable interior soft trim and plastic parts are also very desirable to
save. And DON'T neglect the "small" and/or molded-in-color plastic parts,
such as the windlace or pillar covers. This is particularly true if the car
is a 4door, as such parts are almost impossible to find, and there simply
are no reproductions available. Some of those parts are interchangable or
usable/modifiable to other body styles, or are simply unique to that
particular body style.

Also, don't neglect saving any salvagable "special" fasteners, as these, if
in good condition and/or restorable, are needed by those into stock (or
simply "correct") restorations. Saving good, correct fasteners seems to be
a cronic problem amongst Corvair enthusiasts. GM used quite a few
"dedicated" or "special" fasteners in various places, and I for one always
seem to have to really scramble to scrounge up enough of them for a
restoration, or even for normal maintenance uses.

-Mark