<VV> FC ENGINE HEAT

Robert Marlow vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Jun 10 17:35:43 EDT 2010

Larry is exactly right.  It is sound-deadening material,
factory-glued to the inside of the rear inner panel on each side.  It
is present in all Greenbriers, perhaps Corvans (I am not sure) and
not in pickups.

It does indeed come unglued, so to speak, and fall down such that it
restricts the intake of cooling air.

It is the very definition of a PITA to remove.  The rear inner panel
needs to be semi-removed to get at it, and that it very difficult to
do thanks to several unseen bolts.  If you remove the upper cardboard
rear pilar cover, you will see two bolts.  There are two matchining
bolts coming up from the bottom.  Get to them via the battery box on
the left, and via the engine compartment on the right.  Being a
contortionist is helpful.

--Bob Marlow

At 03:37 PM 6/10/2010, Larry Forman wrote:
>Actually there is one more item that is important to check.   The Greenbrier
>and possibly all other FCs had a fiber or rubber type of mat glued to the
>inside of the sheet metal roughly at the air inlet grill areas.   Mike
>Peters, when he had Corvair Country, warned me about this many years ago
>when I had just gotten my Greenbrier.   I checked and sure enough, the
>padding had come loose.   When that happens, it can (and sometimes did)
>block the air inlets to the engine.   This has caused some engines to
>overheat and self-destruct, according to Mike at that time.   I removed my
>padding by catching part of it and pulling it out as I sliced it into small
>pieces.   There might be an easier way to remove it.
>
>  Larry

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net