<VV> William Shatner's top 10 cars- calling in the cavalry!

Brent Fullard brent.fullard at rogers.com
Sun Jun 13 12:24:06 EDT 2010

Here was my contribution to the Globe and Mail, also known in Canada as the
Mop and Pail:

Obviously William Shatner knows a lot more about cars than the author of
this piece and the Corvair caption that reads:

"But trouble loomed from the get-go....blah blah blah."

Obviously the author is simply regurgitating nonsense that has been spoon
fed to him/her by other equally misinformed naysayers.  Whatever
shortcomings existed with the Corvair suspension had been corrected by
changes made in 1964 and completely eliminated when GM introduced the second
generation Corvair in 1965, which along with the Corvette was the only North
American car to have four wheel fully independent suspension, which along
with its outstanding new ("Coke bottle") body design won it rave reviews
from auto journalists of the day, including this cover story from Car and
Driver, which read:

"And it is here too, that we have to go on record and say that the Corvair
is - in our opinion - the most important new car of the entire crop of '65
models, and the most beautiful car to appear in this country since before
World War II.

When the pictures of the '65 Corvair arrived in our offices, the man who
opened the envelope actually let out a great shout of delight and amazement
on first seeing the car, and in thirty seconds the whole staff was charging
around, each wanting to be the first to show somebody else, each wanting the
vicarious kick of hearing that characteristic war-whoop from the first-time
viewer.

Our ardor had cooled a little by the time we got to drive the cars - then we
went nuts all over again. The new rear suspension, the new softer spring
rates in front, the bigger brakes, the addition of some more horsepower, all
these factors had us driving around like idiots - zooming around the
handling loop dragging with each other, standing on the brakes - until we
had to reluctantly turn the car over to some other impatient journalist. We
were actually annoyed about having to drive the new Sting Ray and the new
Impala SS with a great, storming 409 to propel it.

David E. Davis Jr