<VV> William Shatner's top 10 cars- calling in the cavalry!

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 08:29:04 EDT 2010

 Heh heh, he said slide...

Yeah, tales like this die hard, unfortunately. On a slightly related note, I'm working on restoring a WWII coast artillery battery back to its original condition here in Delaware. The coast here has 11 concrete towers. I've heard all sorts of stories about what these were for, the most persistent one is they were for spotting submarines. I then ask the question "How tall does a structure need to be to see a submerged object?" At which point, usually, the light bulb goes on over their heads. The answer: These are fire control towers used to precisely determine the position of an enemy target to aim the 6, 8, 12, and 16 inch guns at the Cape, which have a range of up to 25 miles.

Still, the submarine tower stories persist... Educating the public on what Corvairs are all about is a similar monumental task!

John Roberts