<VV> Parts Inventory System

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 15:29:18 EDT 2010

Bill,

You have a point, up to a point. But after just going through my own stash
of parts and doing an inventory, I can tell you that while it IS a lot of
work, it is not as difficult as you may think, AND it's enjoyable work.
Plus, you find things you have forgotten you ever had. I know I've found
things I didn't know I had, had forgotten I had, or didn't realize I had
more than one of, and in different locations.

I even created my own Excel spreadsheets to help in the task. Plus I have
cross-referenced everything with GM group and part numbers (in case you
find something in a swap meet in the original wrapper and don't know if
it's a Corvair part or what it fits) AND Clark's new/repop, NOS, and used
part numbers, plus his listed prices (for sake of putting a value on it all
- for selling purposes?)

Sure, I've spent a lot of time going through my parts, writing them down,
then looking them up in the GM and Clark's books, adding the data to the
computer file, then running off a copy of the list, only to do it all over
again to the tune of reams of paper. But in the end, 1) my parts stock is
better organized, 2) I'm able to sell off unneeded parts, and 3) am
actually enjoying it all!

Sure, it'll always be a work in progress. No inventory list ever is
anything but. But I couldn't be happier. I heartily recommend that everyone
do it, or at least attempt to do it. Maybe my computer file will help
someone. Therefore I am going to attempt to attach my Excel format file,
but in case it doesn't go through or something, and if anyone wants a copy,
email me privately. BTW, it also contains my parts for sale list (may not
be current) and a sheet strictly for GM/Clark's part number
cross-referencing.

-Mark