<VV> MGB knockoff wire wheels possible to adapt to EM corvair?

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Sat Jun 19 15:59:40 EDT 2010

> I don't know anything about knockoffs and less about MG's... but I just
discovered
> I can get MGB real wire wheels pretty easily... does anyone know if they
can be
> adapted to a corvair using any combo of Corvair, MG, and custom parts?
Within
> reason.. of course if money were no object anything is possible!

Ray,

I believe the adapters from a Triumph TR4, TR4A, TR250 or TR6 (perhaps TR3's
also, not sure) will bolt up to the EM hubs.  I seem to recall that they
share the same bolt pattern.  You may have to check the lugs however, as
there is not much space for the studs and nuts where the wire wheel seats
against the adapter, also I seem to remember that the bevel of the triumph
lugs was not the same as the chevy lugs.  The big Triumph's all had bolt-on
adapter hubs for the wire wheel option, unlike the MGs.  Triumphs came with
15" wheels however.  The splines and knock-offs are the same between most
all the british sports cars of "similar" size.  I think Jag's were larger,
but MGs, big Triumphs and Healy's were the same I believe.  You can learn
more including prices for new wheels at mossmotors.com.  Make sure you get
60 or 72 spoke wheels, the 48 spokes are way too weak for the Corvair.  I've
never seen an EM wth these, but I thought about it myself some time ago.

Dave