<VV> Steering Damper

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 19 21:39:11 EDT 2010

Hi Connie,

I have first hand and recent experience with installing the steering damper
from Clarks'. You are right, not much on instructions come with it. Did you
get the photo of an installation with the damper? It was installed on a
water pumper, not a Corvair.

The clamp that goes on the idler arm for the bracket that holds the
universal knuckle will need the "U" bolts cut down after you clap it into
position. Otherwise they will not clear the knuckle when the damper is fully
extended on a left turn.

Let me ask why you are considering installing one of the steering dampers? I
see that you have a convertible. So do I, a 65 Corsa. If you are
experiencing "cowl shake" at a low speed, the damper will not stop that. The
shake is not in the steering. The body is flexing. You can eliminate some of
the cowl shake by making sure that your door shims are good and snug when
the doors close. O also find that having the front tires 8-10 less pressure
than the rear makes a difference too.

By the way a steering damper prevents your steering from self centering
after you are coming out of a
 turn. That annoyed me so much that I took it off within a day or two And
threw it back into the box.

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
Circle City Corvairs