<VV> Tech Question - outlook express (no corvair)

Ray R. (aka Grymm) vairguy at echoes.net
Tue Jun 22 01:20:15 EDT 2010

I'm a big computer guru but really into hardware much more than software.
As I recall "outlook express" was discontinued after XP.  Vista features
"Windows Mail" which is what I am using to type this very message.

Windows mail is nearly identical in form and function to Outlook Express
except that you can't have "Multliple Identities" on one user account with
different email addresses anymore... I dont use multiple emails but I think
if you do you just add however many addresses and they essentially share one
inbox.  You can of course create "rules" that will divide messages into
different subfolders.. as I have set up for any message with <VV> in the
subject line to go to my virtual vairs inbox.

I find windows mail to be excellent, it's so similar in appearance and
layout to old Outlook Express that you will forget the differences after the
first couple times you use it... it is more secure, and it has lots of nice
easy to use features that are fairly self explanatory... the "rules"
function that sorts emails into different inbox folders or junks them etc.
is wonderfully easy to use and effective...  I think that is the biggest
improvement for the basic user by far.

If you have multiple different people using the computer...  just have them
each have a separate windows user account.  Windows Mail settings are
specific to the windows "user account" logged on,  so if your wife logs on
as herself instead of you and clicks on windows mail she gets her inbox
instead of yours etc.  It works really well.

On that note I'm going to chime in with my thoughts on the various windows
versions.  Contrary to what the mindless masses will tell you Vista is
currently a fantastic operating system.. probably the best mainstream OS on
the market right now.  Vista suffered from growing pains in its first year
or two, and also earned a bad rep from people "upgrading" to it on computers
that were not powerful enough to run it well or reliably....  With the
release of Vista SP1 Vista became quite good, and with the release of SP2 it
became fantastic.

Windows 7 is shaping up nicely (and much more quickly than vista did) and it
pretty darn good...  already a reasonable alternative to Vista.  As of my
last check 7 still hadn't quite caught Vista on the performance front
(making best use of resources for 3d applications etc.), and still had more
glitches to work out than Vista still has.. but that's just because it's
still fairly new.

To all those people who still stubbornly stick with XP....  If it aint broke
don't fix it applies here.. however...   XP is full of security holes even
with all the updates AND contrary to popular belief no longer outperforms
Vista sind SP2, so the only reason to stick with XP is to save the cost of
an upgrade, or because people hate change!  They did move things around too
much with Vista... took longer to adapt to it than it usually takes to go
from one Windows version to the next.. which was a mistake that contributed
to it's poor reception by the public.  Once you get used to it I do find it
to be a much nicer layout.. but it drove me nuts for about a month when I
learned it had overtaken XP in terms of gaming performance and finally
started using it.

Ray R.

PS- if anyone here decides to buy a new computer, or has problems with their
computer being really slow, viruses or popups, or "crashing" please message
me, I might be able to save you a lot of money with some good advice.
Computer sales are a real racket, I would know I used to sell them.  Also
with newer computers there is often a VERY EASY way to fix your computer
extremely easily if you just make some easy preparations ahead of time.