<VV> Trouble getting Corvair home from car show

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 27 12:45:25 EDT 2010

At 10:28 PM 6/22/2010, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>I have heard of valve seats coming out then going back into place, I
>can't recall what symptom went with that.  You might run a
>compression check just to be sure everything is ok.
>
>--Bryan

Once upon a time, at Danny Otey's shop, we had an early on the lift
trying to diagnose an intermittent annoying clicking that came and
went.   We were gonna look close, expecting to maybe find a bad lifter.

While the engine was running on the lift, rocker cover off, we waited
a bit and the clicking started... one valve retainer was changing its
height, sometimes returning to the same level as the rest, sometimes
not.   That head came off the engine, swapped it out with another good head.

I removed the retainer, spring, and valve, and noted that the "seat
wasn't seated", popped it out of the head with a screwdriver.   It
looked perfect, not a nick, but likely wouldn't have if it had come
completely loose with the engine running.

It's still on the carnage shelf in my basement.

tony..