<VV> Special wheel CENTER FIT

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Jun 29 01:30:58 EDT 2010

At 07:24 PM 6/28/2010, Vairtec Corporation wrote:
>Anecdotal evidence:
>
>Years ago -- at least 20 -- a club member was honking down the
>Interstate at 70 mph in his Greenbrier.  He got off at his exit, he
>toodled along the surface streets, and he turned into his driveway.
>
>But as he was turning into his driveway -- THUMP -- the Greenbrier fell
>down on the right-rear corner and stopped.
>
>All five lug studs had sheared on the axle flange.
>
>He was running lug-centric aftermarket wheels.
>
>He was VERY HAPPY that this occurred as he was turning into his
>driveway, not while he was hammering down the superslab.
>
>Now, does this settle the debate about hub-centric vs lug centric?  No.
>But it does say something about those of you who may still be relying on
>the factory-installed lug studs all these years after your car was built.
>
>--Bob Marlow

In my lifetime I have personally seen three instances of wheels that
sheared studs and came off the car.    One was Bill Reed's '67
Chevelle SS-396 (1971 while I was home on leave), had to go help
rescue that one.   Another Was Joe Arron's '68 T-Bird (mid-'70s)
which he loved dearly and was kicking himself for not checking lug
nuts.   The third was our "business" Ford F-350 shop van at work
(last year) that not only ruined the wheel because of the elongated
stud holes but it also crunched up much of the rear fender sheet
metal on the side of the van.   The fellow driving couldn't hear the
noise that MUST have been coming from the rear because he was wearing
his I-Pod ear buds...

All three had steel hub-centric wheels.   All three came off because
they were loose and the wheels showed evidence of eaten-up lug stud
holes as well as scarring on the drum from wheel-walk.  All three
wheels were on the driver side rear.

In my lifetime I have never seen any non-hub-centric wheel on a
street-driven car come off...

...unless you consider the Keystones on Ron Bratton's Mustang and Sam
Hollingsworth's '69 SS Chevelle, both of which had centers come loose
from the rim although the lug studs remained intact (and is thus non
sequitur but it's a good story anyway).   Ron's Mustang had the
driver side rear wheel come partially apart (what IS it with driver
side?) and wobble so bad he locked up the brakes and stopped in the
middle of the road and the wheel almost re-assembled itself again.

He still has the same wheel today.  It's in his basement.  Keystone
refunded his money and he bought Cragars.   I was surprised they let
him keep the one that tried to come apart... but they did.   It
almost did come apart and the joint that was supposed to hold the
center in the rim was visible... there was some sort of epoxy or the
like, looked like JB-Weld.

Sam's Chevelle wasn't as fortunate.   He had lined up beside
something else on Williamson Road on a weekend night at "pole
position" at Williamson and Hershberger (where the best races
started) and they both launched from the light when it went
green.  Sam's Keystones were new... he launched and halfway across
the intersection both rear wheels spun the centers completely out of
BOTH rims, one of which wadded up the driver side rear fender and
jammed there, the other folded up the OTHER fender and exited the
vehicle and bounced across the road and into another car parked on a
lot across the intersection.   Sam said it was an odd feeling
watching his right rear wheel pass him and head towards the lot
across the street.

He would, after that incident, often as a running joke break into
that parody of that country song "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me,
Lucille"...

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...  over the
guardrail and down through the field....
I hit a big tree, but it didn't stop me, and this time I'm hurtin' fer real...
You picked a fine time to leave me,loose wheel..."

We'd all join in...                  I AM SERIOUS.   None of this is
a joke.    ...although it should be.   ;)

Sam sued Keystone.   They paid off the damages to his Chevelle, he
got it fixed, immediately traded it in on a new Monte Carlo.   It had
GM rallys on it which stayed there through the end, until relatively
recently when he finally let the old car go after keeping it for over
25 years.  We got to see Sam's Monte slowly disintegrate over the
years until its paint was dull as dirt and rust in all 4 corners and
the doors was suggesting eminent demise.    Now he goes everywhere in
his 41 Chevy street rod.

tony..  got non-hub-concentric wheels on my Plymouth Satellite and
the '65 ragtop