<VV> wheel simulator -collecting actual data

Ray R. (aka Grymm) vairguy at echoes.net
Wed Jun 30 03:05:18 EDT 2010

The problem is these guys always err on the side of caution, there are FAR
more choices that will work than you'll ever find in a standardized list...
especially if you are willing to do just the tiniest bit of clearancing-
particularly on that corner inside the front wheelwell on late models.. some
cut it, I bend it with a hammer.  People are always making wheel/tire
combo's work that tons of people just straight up say won't fit... It's all
a matter of how determined you are.

A few years back (4?) I did a whole lot of asking around here on VV and got
a lot of (mostly private) replies as to what width wheels/tires people had
squeezed onto late model fronts and rears with only minor clearancing and
came up with what I considered my optimal combination.  All that data was
lost about 2 years ago due to a hard drive failure that coincided with my
loss of my backup drive (the loss of the backup was my fault).  I lost
nearly every picture I'd taken in 10 years (all but those that were uploaded
on the net somewhere or printed in hard copy).

I want to do a lot of asking around and collect even more data next time
around to make up a nice application chart for custom Corvair wheels.  The
biggest problem is hardly anyone knows what the backspacing on their wheels
is, so I need to find folks willing to unbolt a wheel and measure it who can
contribute.

What I'm looking for is information from anyone that has a wider than stock
wheel/tire combo to submit their wheel width/diameter/offset and tire size
front and rear.  This particularly applies to those with the 82-92 Camaro
wheels in 15x7 to 16x8 wheels as those seem to be near the extreme limits.

The most critical measurement I need is backspace and I need it measured
accurately.  A quarter inch here can make all the difference.  Measuring the
backspace is very easy with a ruler or tape measure as long as the wheel is
off the car.

Follow this link and look at the (6th image down I think) image of the tape
measure measuring up from the back center of the wheel to the cardboard
strip.  Do NOT include the thickness of the cardboard (or whatever else you
use) in the measurement, you are measuring to the BOTTOM edge of that.

Once I have collected enough data I will make a chart available for all of
us.

I would also like to collect the same data on early model cars, again for
wider than stock applications.. the closer you are to the limits the better.

Please also include any and all info you have on what you had to do to make
this combo fit, and whether or not you ever experience any rubbing!!!!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (under construction- quickie driver build)