<VV> enjoy your car

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 01:28:18 EST 2010

Your last line is the key. I think almost all Corvair people are not
concerned with "numbers-matching" status as much as some Corvette people
are.

About all I concern myself with in relation to "stock" is 1) factory
"stock" conponents, 2) factory installed options, and 3) factory-approved,
dealer-installed options. The only reason for any of it is for concours
show purposes, as I'm a CORSA concours judge. Pure stock needs to have
accurate components to be considered "stock". But even CORSA is not
concerned with matching up numbers on engines, drive trains, body tags,
glass, etc. As one person emailed me privately said, being that anal takes
the fun out of the hobby.

Personally, I don't see any "fun" in having a car that isn't totally to my
liking. And that is what I bet most people have when they pursue a "pure
numbers-matching" vehicle. Maybe they don't particularly like the color, or
equipment, etc. of their car, but something isn't exactly right. It just
doesn't match how they'd have ordered the car had they had the opportunity.
"Numbers-matching" may be intellectually interesting, but what fun is
having a car you really don't like?

The late Vincent Price, a noted art collector, once advised people to buy
what you like. If it goes up in value, great. But if it doesn't, you at
least you have the pleasure of owning it. If you don't really like it, you
don't even have that.

-Mark