<VV> Banquet alternative

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Mar 4 08:27:24 EST 2010

Bryan said "Why do something if you're not going to obsess about it?"

Following that line of thought ...
The Detroit Area Corvair Club provides food deli style in the Hotel meeting room starting Thursday afternoon, all
day Friday and all day Saturday with a pizza party Saturday evening for everyone.  That
includes people that just drop by to see the cars.  Some still elect to dine at one of
the local restaurants on their own.  We shop mostly at Gordon's Food Supply but we buy
the top quality sliced meats available and the cost to the club is less than $2.50 per
plate.  Last year [2009] we had record attendance which sent us running for more food but
the increase in food cost was completely offset by the additional registrations.

We will be adding a hamburger / hot dog / brat grilled dinner on Friday in 2010.

It does require some effort but the idea is to give as much for the registration money as
possible to encourage interest in our hobby.   We have developed a shopping over the past
30 years and will email a copy upon request.
Ken P

PS.  We have an award winning pizza store a short distance away that delivers 16 to 20
giant rectangular pizzas.  Due to the large number of participants we have the pizzas
sent in two deliveries 20 minutes apart.

**************************

Hi folks,

With all the hassle and expense of setting up a banquet, we're trying something a little
different for the year's Virginia Vair Fair.  Rather than the usual catered meal, we're
providing a list of nearby restaurants in several price ranges, and then we'll have cake
and coffee back at the hotel after dinner (8 p.m.) to present the awards.  I'm
wondering:

 - Does this sound more appealing than a conventional banquet?
 - Have you been to an event where they did this and did you like it?
 - If you've set up something like this, how did it work out?
 - Any major pitfalls?

Thanks for any comments!  You can see the schedule at http://www.vairfair.com/

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa