<VV> Cutting carpets, now dimmer switch hole

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 11:13:49 EST 2010

Craig replies:
I think the trick is to lay the carpet down and locate the dimmer switch by
feeling, then mark the center and cut an "X" rather than a hole. Once the
carpet is down, the switch will stress one side of the X so you have to cut
that direction a little deeper.  Once the carpet is all the way down, cut
back whatever carpet is folded up and install the grommet.

Doc wrote:
It might be easier or at least quicker to install the carpet and then feel
for the center of the button.  At that point, shove a pin or thin nail
through the carpet at the right position.  If the carpet is too stiff to
feel for
the center of the button accurately, put some paint or even a wad of
chewing gum on the button to mark the right spot on the back of the carpet.
This
way, you don't need to wait for weeks.  Some of us rarely use our high
beams.

Doc
Ron wrote:
I found that the dimmer switch hole was difficult to get right.  If not
perfect, it hangs up
I stumbled onto a great solution for this.  Being lazy, I once put in a
repro carpet without bothering to cut the dimmer switch hole.  After a few
weeks of using the switch (I use my brights a lot) the backside of the
carpet was marked perfectly for cutting the hole.
 --Bob Marlow