<VV> compression

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 11:28:07 EST 2010

Mark wrote:

So guys, I thought my 62 with 67K miles and 151 to 155 compression was
pretty good, but saw a 95 greenbrier with 180 (accept for the dropped seat)?

What is normal compression for a corvair engine? I think I saw the GM book
say minimum at about 125 and consistent across all cylinders.

Mark Durham

Craig replies:

Most Corvairs are in the 130 range but vehicles with a mild cam where
there's less overlap so the intake valve is closed earlier range higher;
like yours does. FCs had really mild (high torque) cams and I've seen 165 a
fresh 110 FC. The poster (mike moyer) built a special high-compression FC
with modified cylinder heads. His 180 pound number is the highest I've seen
though; that calculates out to a theoretical 12:1 compression ratio!