<VV> 4 Speed Case

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 21:42:46 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/7/2010 5:50:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kenharri at comcast.net writes:

I  have a problem.  I was intending to fix another one of a PO's legacies
yesterday.  The 4 speed on my '64 Greenbrier had only one spacer  installed
where the transmission bolts to the crossmember. It is on the  left.  I
obtained the correct spacer and as I was attemping to  remove the bolt on the
right side when head snapped off.  On ispection it  was evident that the bolt
had been cracked for quite some time (I am glad it  did not let go on the
road.  Also, the hole that the remainder of the  bolt is still lodged in on
the transmission has a small chunk cracked off  around the threading.  My
questions are:

What is  the '64 4 speed case made out of?  It appears to be aluminum?

The case is cast iron. In your description, are you saying that there is a
crack in the boss around a bolt hole in the trans case? That isn't good,
but if  the other two are okay, it should be fine. You can remove what's left
of the  bolt - not an "easy-out", but do-able.

What is the availability and price range for a case or  complete
transmission?  Which route do you recommend?  Does  anyone out there have a spare they
are willing to part with in the SE PA area?

64 4-speeds for the FCs are not easy to find. It is worth fixing yours. I
suppose that you could find a 64-65 car trans housing and have your innards
installed. (FCs have different ratios)  Someone may have an extra one.

Do you think there is a chance that the old bolt can be  drilled out
without damaging the case further? (I expect to have the LH bolt  break also)

Be careful and it might not break. There are tools to remove the remaining
parts. Be patient and gentle.

Thanks

Kent Harrington

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette