<VV> CORSA Members caught on the Web

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 23:55:26 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/8/2010 5:33:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jco99 at cox.net writes:

I quote  Harry Jensen from his 03/08/10 VV email reply to Tim Verthein:

"I  believe one has to understand that probably a half of our membership is
not on  the 'net. By posting member content only on the web means that 50%
will not  receive it."

Fifty percent seems like a low number.  Isn't  internet usage in the U.S.
around 75% these days?  Is there some reason  CORSA folks are not internet
users?  Are there data to support the quoted  statement or is it a WAG?  If
data exist, please publish  here.

Thanks.

To whoever wrote this (no name was attached). Appearing on the web  doesn't
make it real, not appearing on the web doesn't make it false.

I realize that older folks - by which I mean older than me (aged 62) -
originally had a reputation for ignoring  computers. That is changing, but
still the penetration among Corvair owners is likely higher with the younger
age  groups - more comfortable with the computers -  and the much older -
retired and more time to goof off with the computers. I think it is the middle
aged Corvair owners - say 35 to 55 - where the penetration might be lower,
since  they are still busier with jobs (we hope), kids, and family. One of
my local  clubs offers an E-mail version or a paper version of the
newsletter, I think it  is still about 50/50. I always read the E-mail version and
then pick-up a  printed copy at the meeting - some of us are incorrigible
<grin>. I  don't know what Harry's data might prove - and I have no idea what
data "are"  available. I know lots of folks who have e-mail addresses and NEVER
check  their mail!  And some folks never give their address out, for fear
of  spam. (And I understand). And maybe Harry's "probably" 50/50 might be
40/60  or 60/40. Even if it is 30/70 or 70/30, that is still a bunch of folks
who might  be disenfranchised by a E-mail only monthly mag replacing the
monthly printed  magazine. I assure you though, the Board is likely looking at
that and  every other option.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette