<VV> Telescoping Columns Revisited: What they're NOT worth

Rodney Spooner rodneyspooner at corvairgarage.com
Thu Mar 11 13:36:07 EST 2010

I agree Steve-o...

Steven J. Serenska [corvair at serenska.com] wrote

"I enjoyed the recent thread on Corvair telescoping steering columns.
There was a lot of good discussion concerning what they're worth and how and
where they should be deployed.

Two recently completed column auctions on eBay tell us what a tele column is
NOT worth:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320490541535

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220564318738"

###

Regarding 22056431738: "You are bidding on a VERY Nice 1965 CORVAIR and
Corvette ? TELESCOPIC STEERING COLUMN,WOOD WHEEL,AND COUPLER.
Will also fit a 1966 corvair,if you change the steering box.
This is not your typical junkyard unit with a broken wood wheel,and parts
missing.
This is the nicest one I have seen in a long time.
The wheel is dirty,but no major cracks or chunks missing.
I would sand the wheel with 600 grit,and spray with a coat of clear.
Paint the column black,and install.
I paid $1000.00 for this one hoping to install it in my next corvair
project,which I now know will never happen.
I know I can get at least $1000.00 for the column,and over $200 for the
wheel; if I sell in seperate auctions."

eBay auction item 32049051535 is much better...all that work has already
been done... Nicest one I've seen in a long time.

But still...$1,000...too much. Much more expensive compared to buying all
the parts at Clark's.

Rodney