<VV> argue / discuss / debate / issue

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 11 17:52:11 EST 2010

Our language "American english" is filled with nuances and latitudes
in the useage of a single word(s).

Jamie said to Robby:
  " It will be counterproductive for me and you to argue this until I
am finished. I apologize for sounding crass but I am finished
debating for now."

Robby replies:
"I guess you and I will also have to disagree on the definition of
arguing. I simply was asking questions - not arguing.

Now Chuck says:
Robby and Jamie debated two sides of the argument / issues. Both
offered  good points / arguments for their position in the debate
which they discussed at length. Jamie interchanged "argue this" with
debate and Robby took this to be arguing which in the context of the
sentence was not Jamie's intent (my opinion).

Let the carnage continue !!! ;-)
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member
Corvair Atlanta Director