<VV> ya want paper or plastic? was: Communique and the Internet

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 01:11:31 EST 2010

At 01:41 PM 3/11/2010, airvair at earthlink.net wrote:
>The problem is, I wasn't looking for anything on the Guild. I wasn't
>even intentionally looking for terminology explainations. I just
>*happened* to stumble over it, and recognize that it was something I
>wanted for usage elsewhere. THAT is why even a "computer searchable"
>computer program STILL can't compete with a paper manual/magazine.
>You just can't do that on a computer. I told you, computer geeks
>can't comprehend this aspect of having a paper product in hand.

...let's say that the ONLY available reference isn't on paper, it's online.

Then let's say I'm not a 30+ year member and I want to read up on
that Quarterly article on the "flying Corvair".    The alternatives
would be to find someone willing to loan out that issue of the
Quarterly, or read it online off the Corsa website.

;)

That is the purpose of the Commscan project.

Now:   For future issues of the Communique, I'd still like a magazine
in my hands.   However... if it came down to either having it return
to quarterly status again or resort to monthly e-mailed PDF files,
I'll take the monthly PDF.    If need be, I could reproduce a PDF
back to paper again without a huge amount of trouble.    Lately,
seems I've been going in the opposite direction a lot... turning old
paper Communiques into PDFs.

tony..