<VV> Car History Question -- No Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Mar 12 12:26:42 EST 2010

"Economy Car" in 1960 meant "inexpensive car" so many of the marques offered
stripper models for the low cost market.  I think Rambler pretty much had
the US "compact car" market until the Valiant, Corvair, and Falcon arrived.
Not sure how late into the 50's Crosley was a factor...

There were a slew of European options for smaller sedans, but with the
exception of VW and the UK/US hybrid Metropolitan, these had only a sliver
of the US market.  SAAB, Renault, Morris Minor, Austin Mini, FIAT, DKW, and
Auto Union are examples.

But don't underestimate the VW or even Met as a viable option for the
"poor", though I suspect a used domestic would be more likely the
solution... after all it was this market that the 60's compacts were aiming
at.

With fuel economy not an issue in this era for the US, there was little to
be gained by spending more for a small imported "economy" car when a
mid-size US domestic stripper might be at a similar price point.

Bill