<VV> Car History Question -- No Corvair

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Mar 12 12:55:19 EST 2010

Bill Elliott wrote:
> "Economy Car" in 1960 meant "inexpensive car" so many of the marques offered
> stripper models for the low cost market.  I think Rambler pretty much had
> the US "compact car" market until the Valiant, Corvair, and Falcon arrived.

Pretty much correct, although Studebaker's Lark arrived for 1959.

> Not sure how late into the 50's Crosley was a factor...

Not very.  I'm one of the old guys who was alive in the 50s, and in
suburban New Jersey I saw perhaps two Crosleys on the road in those
years.  I saw more junked than on the road, and I saw dozens of Crosley
engines in race cars before the Fall of 1959.

> There were a slew of European options for smaller sedans, but with the
> exception of VW and the UK/US hybrid Metropolitan, these had only a sliver
> of the US market.  SAAB, Renault, Morris Minor, Austin Mini, FIAT, DKW, and
> Auto Union are examples.

Yup.  In the early 50s my father operated "Monogram Motors," a British
car dealership.  One day a guy pitched to my father the idea of selling
the new oddball German cars, called "Volkswagen."  My father turned it
down...

> But don't underestimate the VW or even Met as a viable option for the
> "poor", though I suspect a used domestic would be more likely the
> solution... after all it was this market that the 60's compacts were aiming
> at.

Yes, used cars were (are) what the "poor" bought (and buy), while new
economy cars went to (go to) the frugal but not broke.

--Bob Marlow