<VV> Car History Question -- No Corvair

W Halsey hihal at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 13 00:37:46 EST 2010

During the 1950's (my teen and college years) I had in turn, a 1947 Ford
Coupe (six cylinder),a 51 Ford Victoria, a 53 Ford Taunus (German), and a
1955 Williys Custom six cylinder. The Taunus was a 1200cc four cylinder, 3
speed and could get better than 40mpg on the highway. The Willys got about
25 highway mpg, and the others got about 16-17.

Cars with four cylinders did exist but were not big sellers. Henry J,
Allstate, Hudson Jet, Metropolitan, and Willys  to name a few. Styling, V-8
power, automatic transmissions etc were the attractions for new car buyers.
Your single Momma would have ridden the bus in those days. They were
actually in use in much of the country back then.