<VV> Oil with ZDDP

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Thu Mar 18 14:27:42 EDT 2010

You should find out the amount -- most modern oils run 400 or
less.  Most of the oils for flat tappet engines are 800-1200.  Some
are 1600.  Older oils were 1600 or so.  The RP site does not state
the amount which is odd. E

At 06:25 PM 3/17/2010, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:27:44 -0500
>From: "J R Read_HML" <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Oil with ZDDP
>To: <chartzel at comcast.net>, "virtualvairs" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>Well, I think I found my answer for the moment.  A bit pricey, but will put
>my mind at ease.
>
> >From the Royal Purple web site...
>
>PASTE:
>Do your motor oils contain zinc and phosphorous?
>
>Yes. All Royal Purple engine oils contain the zinc/phosphorous compound zinc
>dialkyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP) and are suitable for both roller and flat
>tappet valve trains.
>
>Can your oil be used with flat tappet cams?
>
>Yes. For stock or mildly modified flat tappet valve trains (<.525? lift), we
>recommend our SAE 10W40, 15W40 or 20W50 engine oils. In applications with
>flat tappet valve trains using high-lift cams and/or high RPM applications,
>we strongly recommend upgrading to our XPR line of engine oils as these have
>an even greater concentration of ZDDP providing excellent protection with
>the higher spring pressures. For a viscosity recommendation, contact our
>Tech Dept. at 888-382-6300.
>
>END PASTE
>
>I got $3.00 back from a $50 - for 5 quarts.  I'll look into the Brad Penn
>oil for a product and price comparison.
>
>Later, JR

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.