<VV> Spyder starting problem?

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:05:06 EDT 2010

A few things to try:

When I was 16 (admittedly a long time ago), I had to start my Spyder using
my hand as a choke. I had a starter button in the engine compartment. I just
covered the carb with my hand, after a few seconds of cranking there was a
rich enough mixture to start it.

If using stock points ignition, make sure that the external ballast resistor
is passing 12 volts during the start cycle, then 8 volts (or so) when
running. Electronic assembly like Pertronics is a good idea on a Spyder, if
they have one, make sure that the ignition gets full 12 volts when running,
the electronics don't work right on 8 volts.

What was the fuel line plugged with? Anything get into the carb from the
plug before that was fixed?

Lonny