<VV> Corvair Oils

John & Sandy corvair at zoominternet.net
Thu Mar 18 16:26:20 EDT 2010

I have used both Mobil 1 and Brad Penn oils in the past.  I always liked the Mobil 1, but backed away from it when I found that the zinc levels had dropped.  The Brad Penn was OK, but I did not like the slightly louder lifter noise it seemed to produce.  A friend of mine told me about Amsoil AMO 10-40 and had me read the Widman article.  I found a local dealer and bought a case.  It is expensive, around $9.00 a quart, but I could not be more satisfied with its performance.  The engines on my 110 and 140 are quiet and I get next to no lifter noise, even at start-up after an extended period of time sitting.  I have already ordered another case for this year.  I had a 180 Turbo bored to .060 over and used the oil in it as well.  I sold the Turbo last fall and the new owner has had no oil problems either.  I am NOT a dealer of Amsoil, so I have nothing to gain from promoting it.  I am just a very satisfied customer.  I have recommended Amsoil AMO to all my Corvair friends.

John Johnson
'64 Monza 110 Conv
'65 Corsa 140 Conv