<VV> corvair oil

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 15:16:19 EDT 2010

I'm also in to the bypass filter thing and have a spin on bypass filter
where you change the element every 10K miles. Its called a Trasko USA oil
filter. I have the aluminum housing type on my minivan and when I overhaul
the Corvair this next winter it will get a bypass on it then. It uses a 10
micron SS full flow screen (which filters to a smaller particle diameter
than most all spin on filters) and runs oil thru the bypass section like the
Amsoil bypass system, but its built into the filter and required no
modifications accept for a adapter housing. It keeps the oil clean all the
time.  Costs about $80.  http://www.trasko-usa.com/ Replacement filter kits
run about $10 a piece. I'm currently at my first filter oil change running
Mobil 1 5W 30 full synthetic and the oil has turned s slightly darker from
the amber when new but is clear, at 12K miles on the oil.  The bypass
element catches any particles, acids and moisture..  Mark Durham