<VV> corvair oil

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 22:22:01 EDT 2010

I would like to interject my 2 cents worth.  Instead of worrying about what oil not to use, I can tell you which one TO use.

 Amsoil 15w-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine oil.

          I have used nothing but this oil in my corvairs, wife's water pumper (1995 buick w 255,000 miles on original engine and trans), lawn mowers, and even my 4-stroke weed eater since 1981!!!!  It's engineered for "heavy duty" diesels, but works well in everything i've used it in.  By using it in everything, I lose the warranty protection that comes with the oil. (Yes, Amsoil comes with a warranty!!!!)   It works so well i've never had a problem,  EVER,  in the last 29 years!!!!   It works so well I have a 1995 Walmart  Murray "throwaway" push mower that still runs great after 15 years.  The deck has been welded 3 times, 4 sets of new wheels, 2 new handles.  But never a problem  with the engine!!!!!!

   It comes with a 25,000 mile drain interval.  And if you use a clarks spinon adapter, you can use one of their 25,000 oil filters too.  Its zinc and phosphorus levels are among the highest Amsoil sells.  I also installed an Amsoil by-pass oil filter on my '63 monza.  (My  cars get driven summer and winter, year round)  This is the same set-up used on big rigs.  There was an 18-wheeler who went 409,000 miles without an oil change with this set-up.  He did it by oil analysis every 25,000 miles.  When he sold the truck the motor was torn down and inspected.  It looked fabulous and the engine rater said it looked good enough to put right back in service!  This is all documented in the testimonial section of Amsoils web site.  So far, I'm up to 11,000 miles without an oil change.  To date, i've added 1/4 of a quart of oil!!!   If interested,  look up your friendly neighborhood  Amsoil dealer.    THE STUFF WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy(Cap'n) Hook

'63Monza ragtop 84/pg

'65 Monza 4dr  110/pg