<VV> Intermittent Corvair

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 17:43:42 EDT 2010

 Jim-

  Although I have had a coil fail on me, (car died, wouldnt re-start untill coil was

  replaced) I haven't had one go bad like you are describing. I have had the buck

  and kick problem, and in my case it was an ignition problem. Check to make sure

  that the ballast resistor wire connections are secure, and that the resistor itself is

  not broken (remove the hold down screw and check underneath and verify that

  the resistor is in one piece). Also, check the coil wire connections, making sure

  that they are nice and tight, or at least down firm enough so that you cannot

  rotate the connections on the terminals with your fingers. Next, check that the

  points wire leaving the distributor has not been damaged- the the insulation on the

  wire can sometimes be rubbed away enough to  intermittently short out on the

  distributor. If all of these checks are good, try a known good coil- sometimes

  coils can fail like you describe, and it is because they heat up and the resistance

  gets too high for them to work properly.

  Kevin Nash