<VV> Repair of head stud holes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Mar 22 01:44:29 EDT 2010

True Dennis, I've always used two normal helicoils, but on occasion have
had the 1" or so length that worked fine.

Yes, the hole can be tapped and the helicoils inserted with the engine
in the car. FCs are another matter, as the heads don't come off! The
piston stays on, but the jug comes off. I've had to make the stud into a
helicoil installer. Getting the piece that you break off (two when using
two coils) out of the engine is the trickiest part. It can be done with
tape through the hole with the jug missing. In the worst case the top
cover needs to be removed. This little hard piece should not be left in
the engine to cause trouble!

And of course you will need a "take apart" ring compressor.

Frank DuVal