<VV> Oil Spray

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Mar 22 11:43:45 EDT 2010

> Right now, oil is spritzing onto top cover like tiny
> raindrops - too fine to tell but apparently oil - I can't
> feel or see the source.
    Smitty Says;  Don't even consider the upper block cover as contributing to oil on top of the shroud.  Oil leaks there all head down the block.  Three places to investigate.  The crankcase vent tubing and connections. The dip stick tube.  And the oil cap.  The oil cap sounds most likely to me.  Get a little kids sock and pull it down over the cap and filler tube (or tie a rag around it).  If it turns brown and the spray goes away, you know where the leak is.  Same for the dip Stick, if the problem isn't the cap.  You could have a leak at the oil pressure sensor but they don't generally spray.  They just leak.