<VV> Oil spritzing onto top cover - symptom of ... ?/Me Too Post

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 12:33:50 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/22/2010 10:55:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
62vair at gmail.com writes:

Charles,  Matt is correct. The rings may free up driving it, may not,
however, my 62  102 did this oil out the dipstick thing and I found the
small
hose that  goes from the crankcase vent over to the air cleaner was plugged
up. Clean  that and make sure the PVC is working and the hoses are not
plugged that  should take care of the oil out the dipstick.  Also, a bit of
marvel  mystery oil in the oil to help loosen up any ring holding sludge is
good  thing. Run it 500 miles or so and then change the oil.  Don't  forget
the ZDDP or use a oil that has the old levels, 1200ppm or better of  Zinc
and
Phosphorus. . Mark Durham

>From personal experience I would agree with Mark and Matt.  I used CDC  Oil
Detergent (with each oil change and changed at 3,000 miles) instead of
Marvel Mystery Oil, but got the same effect.  Once the rings loosened up
(especially the oil control ring set) the crankcase pressure dropped and oil
burning was greatly reduced.  Once freed the rings have a better chance at
sealing even if the bores are scored.  Doesn't repair anything, but slows  the
wear process.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics