<VV> Door Latch Problem

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 13:40:44 EDT 2010

One restorer recommended using brazing rod. After you remove the hinge, you
can braze the rod pieces onto the hinge and refinish the surface, so
there's no hole showing in the hinge. Then when you mount the hinge, the
rod pieces act like dowels. Use two per hinge mating surface for perfect
alignment.

-Mark

hinge) just large enough to take two nails through them.This way you will
position the hinge EXACTLY where it was before you removed it.  I did this
a number of times when I drove our old Corvair to the body shop training
lesson at the local tech school.  I would drive the car to the class,
remove the dented door with its hinges attached, take it to the class and
work on it.  At the end of the class, I'd take the door back to the car,
position it correctly using the 2 nails as guide pins and rebolt the
hinges.  The door mated up perfectly each time.