<VV> timing mark update

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 22:12:34 EDT 2010

Garland, points ignitions typically are jumpy. I recently replaced my
distributor with a rebuilt unit where I looked and ensured everything was
tight and when I strobed the timing it was jumping around when I accelerated
the engine and on slow down. It bounced back and forth at idle. If its not
affecting performance, then its probably just the way it is.

The vacuum advances are extremely sentisitive, and are known to have weak
springs in them that can allow manifold vacuum move the advance more than it
should be able to do at idle. There is a way to tighten up the spring I saw
on a thread this last year, if anyone wishes to chime in, I forgot what to
do.
But that might be the most likely suspect area.

To set timing, adjust your idle mixture and at the correct idle speed so
both are right (make sure your air flow is balanced side to side, then check
timing by just removing the vacuum hose and plug it, set your timing,
reconnect it, and you are done. You may have to go back and forth and reset
idle and mixture and timing a few times to fine tune it because each one of
those adjustments will affect the other.

Points/distributor ignition systems are known to be this way and it is one
reason why the manufacturers developed the computerized ignitions to improve
the smoothness of the engines.

I have a solid dampener, a 62 102, so my issue cannot be the dampener outer
ring moving. Unless you like resetting your points fairly frequently, I'd
suggest a Pertronix II.  Mark Durham