<VV> Intermittant Corvair

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 00:37:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/27/2010 4:58:44 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
62vair at gmail.com writes:

wiring  the system with a 12 volt
coil and Pertronix II. The Flame thrower 12 volt  coils kept blowing out (2
of them) , so I went down to Schucks and got a  std 12 volt universal coil
and the car runs great

Well, there are 12 volt coils and also different 12 volt coils. For
example, the stock Corvair coils all are identified as 12 volt coils, but they
aren't. They are actually 6 volt coils since that is the voltage they receive
nominally while in operation. And some 12 volt coils are actually designed
to  run on 12 volts.

So how do you tell one from another? Use a digital ohmmeter and measure the
 primary resistance. If it is around 1.5 ohms, it's a 6 volt coil designed
to  work with a ballast resistor. if it's around 3.0 ohms, then it's a 12
volt coil  designed to run WITHOUT a ballast resistor.  I you should connect
this  coil to a ballast resistor you will be getting reduced voltages to the
spark plugs, ugh.
Regards,
Bob Helt