<VV> Rear axle bearings, late

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Sun Mar 28 00:41:57 EDT 2010

Rear axle bearings, late
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/technical-articles/c2/84-wheel-bearings.html http://www.corvettemagazine.com/technical-articles/c2/84-wheel-bearings.html

I followed the link to the Corvette web site, but it is for the front bearings and not the rear. I was interested in what they had to say about rear bearings. I didn't see any info on rear bearings.

As I remember, both the Corvette & Corvair rear bearing assemblies are very similar with the only difference being the clearance, Corvette wants 0.001 - 0.008 and the Corvair 0.000 - 0.006 clearance. Disassembly of the Corvette rear wheel bearings requires a press and I can't remember if the Corvair is the same, but I would think it does.

The big difference between front & rear wheel bearings is the method of adjusting bearing clearance. On front bearings you do it with the spindle nut, while on the rear bearings you do it with shims. Once you get the feel for it, rear bearings are not a problem, as long as you have access to a press in case you need it and you most likely will.

Roy - Bayshore