<VV> Antique Plates & Policemen

Ken Maxwell kobramax at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 28 07:37:29 EDT 2010

I once had a policeman with his hand on his Glock come into my workplace
early on a Sunday morning asking if that was my Marina Blue 66 Corsa coupe
in the parking lot. I said it was and he said that he could not "run the
plate" through his computer. I said that was no surprise since it was
obviously a 1966 Kentucky plate that I had installed for a show later that
day and that it had been expired for more than 40 years. I told him that I
had my current "antique" plate under the front seat and that the local DMV
had said that I could drive the car with the old plate as long as I had the
new plate in the car. He was a Barney Fife type and didn't seem to like this
very much but he took my word and left. Later, as I was leaving for the
show, I double checked under the seat and found that I had left the current
antique plate at home! I guess I really lucked out that he hadn't asked to
see it.

By the way, Kentucky issues two antique plates per car (I assume one for the
front and one for the rear), but our regular state plates are only issued
for the rear, no fronts. I only use the rear plate, while the front one
gathers dust in the garage.

Ken Maxwell

Louisville, KY

67 Monza