<VV> Corvairs with 'Antique' plates/but no Corvair

Geoffrey Stozek gjjs at att.net
Sat Mar 27 23:49:30 EDT 2010

Some food for thought next time you buy or sell a car to a private party.
I purchased a car in FL last year and was required to get a temporary plate from the FL DMV in order to drive back to IL where it would be titled and licensed.    I also sold a van to a guy from Ohio last year.  He was required to obtain a temp "plate" from IL in order to drive back to Ohio.    In both cases the buyer was required to get the temp plate.   To do so the buyer needed a bill of sale and/or a title.   I suspect most states have a similar process.
The MI story is one example of why the seller also needs a copy of the bill of sale.   A more serious situation would be if the car you sold were involved in a serious accident before the buyer obtained the temp plate, assuming the state required one, and he fled the scene.   Until the temp plate is issued or the title transfer is applied for, you are still on the books as the owner of record and the one the police will come looking for.      A bill of sale including the buyers name, address etc. would help your position with the police.
I have a related story from the mid 1970's.  A friend of mine sold a 64 corvair.   Several months later he received a letter from the Secretary of States (SOS) office (Il does not have a DMV) stating that his car, which had been abandoned on the expressway, had been towed and it would cost him $X to retrieve it.   Obviously the buyer never transferred title.   Did he drive it for months without plates?   Possibly not.   As late as the early 1990's,  you could get plates in IL simply by filling out the applications and paying the fee.   No one checked to see if you owned the car you identified or if it even existed.    I know for a fact because I applied for and received plates for my 67 convert, having forgotten that I hadn't bothered to transfer the tile form WI when I purchased it the year before.   IL has changed.  They now require to show a title when you apply for plates.  Darn.
Jeff Stozek
N IL