<VV> Help!!!!!

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Sun Mar 28 10:42:33 EDT 2010

I think you misunderstood me, Frank. I didn't say the seals were inside the bearings, I said that the only way to know you got new grease in the bearing surfaces is to push grease past the seals, meaning you have to push grease through the bearing and then past the seals.

However, since the old grease can harden with age, the new (more fluid) grease will seek the path of least resistance and go through the least dense section of old grease until it pushes past the seal. You are unlikely to push all the old grease out with this method. Yes, you will get SOME new grease into the bearing and with rotation of the wheel it will get somewhat redistributed, maybe even soften up some of the old grease, but there is no way to know if it is evenly distributed or not.

In the long run it does not seem worth the risk.

Bill Hubbell

Bill Hubbell