<VV> Corvairs - abandoned with tracable inspection stickers

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Mar 28 15:53:51 EDT 2010

In New York, I would find Corvairs abandoned on street and highways, even
the LIE.

The inspection sticker was tracable through the station that inspected the
car, so I would find the station who would contact the owner with my offer
to remove their car.

I'd tell the owner "If I can find you, so can the state, who will charge you
to impound your car."

If the owner transferrred title to me, I'd remove it for free, and get the
car for the cost of a tow.

This would save him money and hassle, and I get a free Corvair (usually with
a broken fan belt !)

Only oncew did I get hassled, actually cited for "removing parts from an
abandoned vehicle" ironically after a truck left the scene hauling the deck
lids, doors, seats and anything good that wasn't welded on !

I had to go to court, but I had pictures showing there was nothing left to
take, and the cop admitted I hadn't actually taken anything but he thought I
was going to, and that all I had was a pencil and a peice of paper, and it
was dismissed.

The real issue was that he was sleeping in the bushes in his car (pretending
to be a speed trap, but he didn't see the truck !) and I was there when the
noise of the truck pulling away woke him up !

Alll in all it was work it, since I got all my spare parts I needed at very
little cost - wish I still had them !

Charlie