<VV> Corvairs with 'Antique' plates

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 28 18:08:48 EDT 2010

Back in '71 I bought my '67 convert in Massachusetts. The only way I could
"legally" get it back would have been to go up there with a flatbed trailer
OR to go up there, get the bill of sale (Mass was not a title state at the
time), bring it back, and apply for an Ohio temp tag. Then return to Mass
and drive the car home on the temp tag. Neither of which I could do (for
various reasons). So what I did was remove the plates from my daily
(Corvair) driver, go to Mass and buy the car, put the plates on it, and
drive it home with my fingers crossed, hoping that I'd neither get stopped
or have an accident. Which in that case, I would have simply had to hope
the cop would be sympathetic and look the other way.

Nowadays, when you "import" a car from out of state, you have to have it
"inspected" by a licensed inspector before you can file for its paperwork.
(Actually, all he does is check to see if the VIN on the car matches the
VIN on the paperwork.) Since few will travel to your house, in order to be
"legal" you end up having to trailer the car there and back. Thankfully,
many inspectors are usually sympathetic and will "look the other way" if
you drive it there.

Let's face it. Most states barely recognize that people can and do buy cars
from out of state, instead of ONLY local in-state dealers and individuals.
Heck, few states even recognize that car collectors even exist, so laws
"designed" to protect the average citizen from fraud and other illegal
schemes often tend to be "inconvenient nusiances" hindering otherwise
law-abiding, legitimate hobbyists.

The problem is that most state legislators are "average" citizens who don't
stop to think past the average car owners' normal activities. Few are car
collectors themselves, let alone being aware of our "special" needs. And to
make matters worse, while you MAY be able to find your local representative
sympathetic, in order to do anything about any given problem you also have
to wake up the large majority of other legislators. THAT is why it's all
but impossible to get anything but lip service from them. Our car
collectors' niggly little legal entanglements aren't usually enough to
garner much attention on their radar screens.

-Mark