<VV> Spark Plug Hole

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 12:33:13 EDT 2010

Brian, I am not sure which "Helicoil" you were trying to use. I used a i5334-14 Helicoil Sav-A-Thread spark plug thread repair kit on one car I repaired. This is Helicoil brand, but these are solid inserts with knurl at top, not the usual "coiled spring" Helicoil. My notes say the OD of the insert was larger than the K-D alternative. I found it at my local Advance Auto.

Good Luck!

Brian ONeill said:

<<I've got a stripped spark plug hole that has so much metal removed, the special Heli-Coil tap just slides in without making any thread for the coil.  Anyone know of an alternative to having the hole welded up and re-drilled and tapped?  Thanks in advance.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on