<VV> Spark Plug Hole

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 00:57:28 EDT 2010

"...I've got a stripped spark plug hole that has so much metal  removed,
the special Heli-Coil tap just slides in without making any thread for  the
coil.? Anyone know of an alternative to having the hole welded up and
re-drilled and tapped?? Thanks in advance..."

For "in the car" repairs, I've had good results using the KD Tools solid
inserts sold by Clarks and a bunch of other folks. "Me thinks" (actually I'm
pretty sure), the solid insert takes out more material than does a Helicoil
(so  will likely work where a Helicoil will not). You'll need to also buy
the  matching KD tap. Use lots of wheel bearing or chassis grease on tap to
prevent  chips from falling into the cylinder. I think someone else mentioned
the KD  insert, too, and that person is spot on; no, KD method is not as
good as a  Time-Sert or Helicoil, but can be done W/O pulling the head.

Mike Mauro