<VV> In defense of stock Corvairs

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 01:04:08 EDT 2010

Bob,

I never said that one *shouldn't* modify one own's cars. Heck, I do that
myself. However, IF you do, be aware that you do it at your own peril. Any
time you reduce sales volume, you hasten the original's demise. That's a
marketplace given. And that was the intended extent of my post.

For sake of (example) information: With the spin-on filter, it's an example
of a useless (and ultimately detrimental) modification. I really never
could see any advantage to using one on anything but maybe a race car
engine. There's no price advantage, since you have to change those three
adapter seals (though there are people who have disputed this, but they are
wrong) with the filter. And I've never had any problem with a bad PF-4, nor
any engine damage as a result of using them. So to me, the idea of the
spin-on is an answer in search of a question. Point is, I DO believe it
hastened the PF-4's demise. But be it as it may, the damage is already done.

-Mark

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/